The next is unrelated, but despite my ENORMOUS frustrations with the red tape that wraps around all of France, there are some really great things about this country (cliche or not!):
- Paris in the springtime -- tulips and wisteria!
- the lack of, and lack of appreciation for, multi-tasking skills (ahhhh)
- accessible intellectual media: bookstores everywhere, philosophical debates on TV, loads of info about the current presidential candidates, great magazines like La Philosophie and L'Oeil (art)
- everyday sensuality (watch the part in Amelie where she goes around touching, cracking, and burying her hands in things just because of the way they feel)
- the amazing things they do with eggs: omelettes, crepes, etc. etc.
- as a friend so aptly put it, the spirit that is 1/2 refined, 1/2 bohemian. (that may be the best description of France I've ever heard!)