28 July 2005

That American Must Be Her

A student just came in and rattled off Japanese to me. (The boys at my school aren't quite as shy as the girls...but luckily all of them are excited I'm here). He was going on and on, and kept talking about Mrs. Tanaka, so I told him in broken Japanese that my name is Lauren and I'm the new ALT. Then Mayumi Sensei came over and started laughing, saying 'No, no no' waving her hands. I had no idea what was going on. Turns out this boy's aunt married an American, and for some reason he thought I was his long-lost cousin.

Hate to disappoint people. Later Mayuni Sensei said, 'Don't worry, that boy's a little strange.'

Mayumi Sensei is young and really nice, with a good sense of humor. She lives above me and I get to teach a class with her, so I'm excited about working together.

No comments: