29 March 2006

Hina Doll Photos




In Japan, March marks the coming of spring, as well as a time for families to celebrate the health of their daughters. Parents set up a large, extremely expensive, hand-painted and hand-crafted Hina doll display. Every day in March, little girls can admire their dolls (without touching, of course) and on special days, wear kimonos to 'match' the dolls on the display. My supervisor has a 2-year old little girl named Hinako. Essentially, her name means "little girl of spring," because she was born during the same month as the girls' festival. It was Hinako's first year to have a doll display, and my supervisor was kind enough to invite me to her house, to see a doll display in person. Unfortunately I couldn't meet Hinako, because she was in kindergarten, but I hope to go back again. I love my supervisor. When the new school year begins in April, I have to move to a new desk, like all other teachers -- but that means I also have to change supervisors!! No!!!!!

In this display (as in most), the Emperor and Empress sit on the top, with servants underneath. Notice the many layers of kimonos -- in the past, members of the court would actually wear these 12 layers!! Carrying all that silk must have toned some royal muscle.

No comments: