11 May 2006

Dan Is Coming to Visit - AGAIN!

On Sunday we'll meet in Tokyo and travel around a bit before coming back to Fuji. This time we hope to work in some karaoke, a fish market or two, and sushi -- there's a great conveyor-belt restaurant I want to take him to. I took the whole week off because the kids have exams and I wouldn't be teaching anyway. So this week I've been working overtime to complete everything ahead of schedule.

Between now and the time Dan arrives, I'll be summer-proofing my apartment again. It is slowly but surely getting warmer, wetter, and more humid. This means I have to re-vamp my closet fresheners and dehydrators to prevent my clothes from growing mold or mildew. This also means I have to reinstate the lovely roach traps that look like insect party barns. Like where sororities and living groups held their semiformals in college -- the roach traps are little cardboard barns with sticky dance floors. Only the poor roaches don't get to tap their feet too long.

Roaches are gross, yes. But I prefer them to something that stings or bites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that cockroaches are resistant to radiation? How gross is that?!?

iiimonfire said...

The floors were sticky in sorority party barns too, right?

I think it's pretty cool that cockroaches are resistant to radiation. Just when you think the human race feels so empowered and special that we alone can destroy the planet, at least it's somewhat humbling to know that we're more mortal than cockroaches.

What's REALLY gross is that if you try to squish a cockroach, its eggs fly out all over the place. And let's not forget those urban legends about the meat in Taco Bell.