28 June 2006

Blurring That Line

You know, the one between fate and chance. I shuffle between the two, usually clinging to the fence and declaring the events in my life "a lax version of destiny" or "a major version of coincidence." By now my arms are getting tired because I find myself once again holding fast to that line.

My mother told me about a dream my grandmother had right after I was born. I was only a few days old, but in the dream, my grandmother phoned my house asking to speak with me. "Oh, I'm sorry," my mom replied. "She's in the south of France."

And then we would all laugh like it was the wackiest thought to ever enter a grandmother's brain just days after her granddaughter was born.

With no particular prompting, this memory came back to me long after it had faded from conversation and my short-term memory. So I ask you, is it fate? Coincidence? Or is my grandmother hiding some special powers? (Read "What's Next" for an update if you're confused.)

I shouldn't let this go to waste! Manana, when I was born, did you ever dream about where I'd settle? Or who I'd marry ?

No comments: