15 March 2007

No Fragrance, No Life!

Sure it's a play on words, but I'm starting to understand how people can become totally consumed by the work they love. Especially when it's challenging. I thought perfumery was a 9 to 5 job, but it's not. If I really want to be good, I have to do a LOT of work (smelling, studying, re-thinking, formulating, calculating) outside of my classroom "office hours." The most striking thing about this course is how monolithic it has become. In college I had study breaks from the work, like student health meetings, campus events, the gym, piano, romance, etc. But for the first time I wake up thinking about one thing, and go to sleep thinking about one thing.

You don't put down your nose when you walk out the door.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Boy oh boy do I echo those comments. I challenged my mom to think of one thing that didn't have some sort of impact on health. She tried but I came up with connections for every d*mn activity she came up with. ::sigh::

Anonymous said...

Hello Lauren, I am Vietnamese student. I am reading your blog since 6 months. I hope to study EFCM this year. Do no give up because " no fragrance, no life".
Best regards

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren, Came across your blog several months ago. Congratulations on your graduation. I have a few questions about the course at the Fragrance Academy and your time in France. Firstly, what sort of roles has it equipped you for in the fragrance/perfume industry? Secondly, can you discuss some of the cultural experiences that were part of the course eg museum visits, your field trip to Grasse, concerts/music , gastronomy etc. I am trying to ascertain whether the course is holistic in terms of training all your senses. In terms of living expenses could you give a rough estimate of the living expenses for 9 months. Your response is greatly anticipated. Best wishes Helena.