09 September 2005

Atami




First, please let me apologize for the decreasing quality of these posts...now that I've started teaching, I have less time to write, so I'm forced to slop down my thoughts. Some of you are probably happy I am writing less. :)

Second, I wanted to share more photos. These were taken in Atami, a town known for its Japanese baths and tiny little beach...but most of all, for its fireworks display. A few Sundays ago they shot off the most spectacular fireworks I've ever seen, flashes that would have cost thousands of dollars in the States. Flames were shot from boats positioned in the ocean, and they exploded right above our heads, which rested on the sandy beach. The fireworks formed all kinds of shapes, from hearts to 5-pointed stars to balls, and right before the finale, they shot fireworks I'd never seen before -- somehow, it looked like the entire sky was raining golden light and fire into the sea. Absolutely gorgeous. I took videos with my camera, but I'm having trouble posting them...so alas there are no firework pics, but here are some people!


Top: view just before dusk
Middle: Natasha and others who braved the water
Bottom: Jeff and Brad goofing off after dinner

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your additional, extensive explanation about the joke! This is the Japanese who made a comment on your blog at 8/27. This time, I believe I got it. But somehow, I can not laugh. I am afraid I messed up the joke (^_~).
I am sorry I reply late. Actually, I am living on out-of-normal life now. I am living in New Orleans, but currently staying away from there, because of devastating aftermath from Katrina. I am OK and I keep my important possessions safe, because I evacuated from there hours before Katrina made landfall. This was the best decision I have ever made.
While my situation is rather tough, I am confident I can deal with it. There are so many people reaching out for evacuees. I am touched by warmth of the hearts of American people. They give evacuees food, shelter, and daily supplies. Even more, they pray for us. They make me feel I am not alone, even though I am in foreign country. Thanks USA!
Good to know you like the Japanese fireworks. I like fireworks at here, too! Like that on 4th of July.

Lauren said...

I am very happy to hear that you feel taken care of, to some extent, in the face of so much destruction. Especially in a place that is used to prosperity...sounds like many are handling it as gracefully as possible. I hope now your situation is better, since you posted this comment a while ago. The Katrina situation breaks my heart because my family is from Louisiana and lived in New Orleans for many years, so I connections to the city even though I never lived there. Take care and please let me know how things are going.