09 April 2006

Overheard in Japan

Late 20s guy to early 20s girl: The truth is, international relationships just don't work. I don't want to marry a girl and then have all conversation be, "Ah, ohashi, sugoi ne?"

Japanese teenagers: Wow, look at that girl. She's really pretty, isn't she. Where is she from? Germany -- she must be German. (to girl, in Japanese): Excuse me, where are you from?
American girl: America.
Japanese teenagers: America? No. Aren't you German?
American girl: No, I'm American.
Japanese teenagers: You don't look American.

Late 20s girl to early 20s girl: I'll sit in Starbucks and talk about sex in a normal voice, because I just assume nobody can understand me. I should probably re-think that one and lower my voice.

Middle-aged Japanese women: Whoa! A foreigner! Look at that foreigner! She's eating a rice cake! That's AMAZING!

Japanese man, late 50s: My wife has no idea how much money we have. She won't know until I die. Before I die, I'll ask the bank to hand over the account statement to my wife, so she'll know. But she won't know until I die.
American girl, early 20s: So she doesn't care?
Japanese man: What?
American girl: She's not interested? She doesn't want to know how much money there is?
Japanese man: Of course not.

Japanese woman, in Japanese: Excuse me, would you like me to take the picture for you, so you three girls can be in the picture together?
American girl: Sure, thanks a lot!
Japanese woman, to her Japanese friends: Wow! That girl just spoke in Japanese!!
Australian girl, to American girl: Uh, they spoke to us in Japanese.

American girl to new coworker: Hey, I recognize you. You play tennis, right?
Japanese guy: Yes, I play tennis.
American girl: Oh that's great! Would you like to play doubles with us sometime?
Japanese guy: Um, I can't.
American girl: Why not?
Japanese guy: Because I will marry in the fall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading those.

Jessica Letizia said...

I don't get the last one.

Anonymous said...

LAUGH RIOT, meine lebenschnitzel. Loved the doubles bit.
SAK