24 April 2006

True Evil

I'm sick. I left work an hour early, came home and went straight to bed, then woke up long enough to take a pill and eat a piece of bread. I felt like I'd stuffed myself.

Then I decided to reach out beyond my sick bed and type a quick post. I walked to school this morning, because when I get sick, I like to deny it for as long as possible. I believe that if I tell my body everything is fine, the problem will go away. I always do this yet always to no avail. So I walked but still felt awful after the breeze and sunshine. But sickness is not the "true evil" to which I refer.

The true evil was the bugs zooming around my head this morning. Things literally happen overnight in Japan. You sleep, and boom, typhoon season. You sleep, and boom, your apartment turns into a refrigerator. You sleep, and boom, cherry blossoms are everywhere. You sleep, and boom, the spawns of wasps and Darth Vader form clouds on the sidewalks you have no choice but to cross on your way to work. These bugs were everywhere this morning, yet I've never seen them any other day of my 8 months in Japan. None of them stung me but every time I walked through a cloud of black I prayed. The weirdest part about these solid black wasps was that they weren't shiny. They weren't hairy, but their black bodies were distinctly dull. For some reason this really disturbed me. Bugs with matte-black exoskeletons are much more frightening than bugs with shiny skins.

I have no idea why. But they looked really evil.

No comments: