09 July 2006

The Strangest Flower



If I don't have a book at the bus stop, I often get bored when public transportation arrives anywhere from 2 - 20 minutes later than scheduled. But at one bus stop in front of someone's house, I am always fascinated by this flower. I stare and stare and can't get enough and before I know it the bus arrives.

The ants also can't get enough. They go crazy and, although you can't see them in this picture, constantly run over its surface doing who knows what (I can't see them eating anything or gathering any nectar, just running over this flower like it's a jungle gym). It doesn't even produce a noticeable odor.

If you know the name of this one please let me know, because it is the strangest flower I've ever seen in my life.

2 comments:

Jessica Letizia said...

I think it's called passion flower -- makes passion fruits. :) I could be wrong, however... not being a botanist and all.

Lauren said...

Yes, thanks to my mom and Jess, I have since learned that this is a passion vine. And that they grow in my home state. (!) I wonder why I never noticed them before...

Well be it American or Japanese, I've re-named it The Jungle Gym. Kids, hold on tight, cause that is one crazy flower.