16 July 2006

What I WON'T Miss

In an effort to add some sugar to a bittersweet goodbye, here's a list of things that I will not miss about living in Japan.

  • mold growing on everything from floors to backpacks to shoes to wooden coasters to the sprouts indepedently growing from my sponge. It is THAT disgustingly humid.
  • huge cockroaches I can do nothing about
  • NO CENTRAL HEATING or AC anywhere
  • "celebrity status," ie total lack of privacy
  • having to be overly-conservative about everything because of the teacher reputation I am expected to uphold
  • spending too much time in front of the computer
  • waiting for late buses and then getting whiplash from crazy drivers
  • not having a car or otherwise any access to good transportation
  • the high cost of produce
  • pollution and ugly smokestacks in my town
  • rough washers and dryers = worn-out clothes
  • lack of a "real" bed
  • complete lack of the "and on day 7 He rested" concept
  • always being the object of a stare
  • the ramen truck that blares until 11:30 on Thursday nights
  • lack of daylight savings in winter
  • lack of regular religious services
  • instant coffee

No comments: