16 December 2005

Japan, Oh Japan

  • Today a teacher began toting a new coffee mug. It's covered in a Jamaican flag, a huge 5-pointed leaf, and the declaration, "Marijuana can't be that bad for me."

  • The Japan Times ran an article about a Snoopy doll for sale in Tokyo. The beloved cartoon character, cast in platinum and gold, is going for the little tune of 5.5 million dollars.

  • Since I'm on my 3rd cold, I needed to buy more tissues. I grabbed the cheapest ones and the packaging says, "Your skin will be touched softly and gently by 100% high quality pulp."

  • Oh, Japan. No further comment.

4 comments:

Princess Inaka said...

Just randomly happened across your blog. Reading it totally reminds me of myself and how I felt when I first got here. Some days Japan is amazing and other days you sit on your 50 gallon container of toyuu and cry. I feel for ya girl. But it's only just begun. The high will only get higher...and at times the lows a little lower. Enjoy your stay, you will leave this place a completely different person than who you were when you arrived.
Cheers

Lauren said...

Hey! Thanks for the comment...where is Mie Prefecture?

Anonymous said...

My first thought about the mug was "Was it written in English or Japanese?" My second thought was- "Can Japanese be written in italic?"

Lauren said...

I think the answers to that one are -- yes, and yes. :) Japanese characters can have as many "italic" variations as English letters. As long as you're artistic you can shape them any way you want, and they're still recognizable. It may be easier to do that with Hiragan and Katakana than with Kanji, though.