12 December 2005

Why I May Have Gotten the Best School in Japan

Today was Monday. And tonight we had a going-away party for a nice, young teacher who was replacing someone temporarily on maternity leave. I'll be sad to see him go, especially since he was the only one around to help me read power switches in Japanese when I blew my fuse. (I know, I'm such a glutton, using the lights AND the air-conditioner at the same time, gee what was I thinking, to want light AND heat simultaneously? [The air-con puts out hot air, and I wanted to use that instead of kerosene]). Anyway, the guy lives in my apartment complex and he's pretty cool, so I'll miss him next semester.

When my school has an enkai (drinking party), we go all out, heading for the best bars and restaurants in town. Tonight, the vice-principal couldn't make it, but he threw in 100 bucks out of his pocket just so we could have an extra-good time on a school night. I was out with my co-workers but I felt like I was out with my best friends (in Japan, of course). And that, dear readers, is why I am happy in this place. Connections among people.

People make everything.

2 comments:

Yusuke in N.O. said...

You can ask your local power company (Tokyo Den-ryoku? or Chubu Den-ryoku?) for you to have the breaker rating higher than the current rating, which should be enough high so that you can use the lights and the air-conditioner simultaneously. It is that easy so I think you can ask him another small favor, helping you to make a call to the company.

Lauren said...

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to comment...my apartment is owned by my school, so I'm not sure if I can have something changed...but thanks for the help!!