26 December 2005

A Very Insufficient Tribute to Robert Doisneau

I admit, I fell for Doisneau's girly black-and-white shots of couples on the cobblestones of Paris (1940s-1950s). But I also fell for the shots working-class people in bars or on dirty street corners, not in the center but on the outskirts of my favorite city. A friend lent me a huge book of Doisneau's work. None of the descriptions were written in English, so reading French and recognizing scenes of Paris made me very nostalgic. But the real kicker came when I read about why Doisneau chose to be a photographer. Because he described exactly why I love to write, in much less than a thousand words:

…ou plus simplement une façon de marquer ma joie d’être au monde et de voir clair.

A very rough translation is:
...or more simply, a way to record my joy to be in the world, and to see clearly.

(The translation is less-than-perfect, but) I couldn't have said it any better.

No comments: