10 November 2005

Endangered Species

Some of my fellow teachers are undeniably cool. There's one in particular who's about 50, and I always enjoy talking with him because his English is incredible and we have the same sense of humor. Nothing like a good laugh to make you feel connected. This is the same teacher who previously asked me to explain the "Can you make me one with everything?" hot-dog vendor/Buddhist joke. Since then, we've been on the same page.

Anyway, this guy spent his college days in America in the 70s. As a result, he loves (American) 70s music, which is kind of a novelty in Japan. When we talk about Lynyrd Skynyrd or CCR I feel like we're speaking a language no one else understands. He boasted about his collection of 1200 CDs, and today he brought in some Lynyrd Skynyrd albums for me to borrow -- all 6 of them.

Tsunoda Sensei saw Lynyrd Skynyrd in concert, in America, one month before their plane crash. He said this as we both happened to be staring at the album entitled, "Endangered Species." We noticed it at the same time, looked at each other, and cracked up.

I don't think anyone else I know in Japan would have gotten that joke. It felt good.

1 comment:

Jessica Letizia said...

Hi hun. Thank you for your kind words. I am always thinking of how you fit into that country of little people, beautiful landscapes, and mild manners. I miss you.