10 November 2005

Sweet Burger Bliss

(Wait, will I die if I eat one of those in Asia? No, that's just the Japanese media yelling about imported American beef and BSE. So it must be okay, because all burgers I'd eat here originally came from my own country. Right? Or is it the chicken that's imported? Oh yeah. It's the chicken that could kill me. Phew.)

So I pulled open the door and stepped into Mos Burger.

Welcome to the McDonald's of Japan, and for now please ignore the fact that no one would appreciate that comparison. It's a chain burger joint, where the chicken nuggets are seafood tempura and the milkshakes are 5 times smaller (and 5 times better) than the ones at McDonald's. Just right.

I ordered a cheeseburger and a coffee shake. I considered my stack of newly-acquired library books: The History of Sake; Body Language (I know, but I can't help myself); and Interpreter of Maladies. The library had a decent collection of foreign books. And I was pretty satisfied because that transaction had occured completely in Japanese, without any hang-ups.

My burger skills, however, weren't so hot. Right before I paid, the cashier asked me something totally incomprehensible. A cook had to come around the corner to help.

"Here?" he asked in Japanese. "You eat here?"

Of course! "For here or to go?" -- what else would they ask at a fast-food place? Hah.

I smiled, paid, and sat down at the corner table by the window. I opened a book and a few minutes later the food arrived. Maybe it's because I was starving, or maybe it's because I don't remember the last time I ate a hamburger. But it was good. Nihon burger bliss.

1 comment:

Jessica Letizia said...

My oh my... Lauren eating a burger?!! Was it miniature-sized, too? :)
PS: I told C. about the "tackle his ass to the ground" comment... it created much laughter. LOVE.