02 February 2006

Snooze No More

I'll admit something ridiculous. For the past 2 weeks, I've set my alarm for 6 am with the intention of getting up to exercise. Instead, I've spent every day hitting snooze, dreading the cold, and getting out of bed too late to eat breakfast at home.

But today was different. First, I was awakened at 4 am by the newspaper delivery people. All the bike-riders in Japan, but these guys ride motorcycles. Today was one of the rare mornings they had a conversation under my window over the roar of muffler-free engines. When I was awakened from a deep sleep, I thought that vandals were taking over our apartment complex, or that I'd caught a teacher in the act of partying until 4 am. Then I remembered the newspapers--which I can't read--that are delivered to all my neighbors.

My alarm went off at 5:30. I hit snooze one time, once again bowing to that evil cycle. But as I dozed I had one of those half-dreams you confuse with reality. Usually I half-dream about getting dressed, brushing my teeth, etc., so I think I'm accomplishing something when I'm actually just lying there half-conscious. But today I dreamed about another teacher (the funny one who lived in America and likes 70s music) laughing at me.

"Hehe, you lazy Americans are all the same. I knew you wouldn't get up."

That was enough motivation for me! I kept thinking, "Oh yeah?? Oh yeah?!" and got my ass out of bed.

I rolled onto my tatami floor, did yoga while the sun came up, showered, put on more makeup than usual, pulled on some clothes I don't wear all the time, made a cup of coffee (and even frothed the milk, thanks to Meegan!), and drank it in silence as the crows began screaming at 7am, like clockwork, just as they do every day.

I felt really peaceful and happy, with that inner quiet that can only come from feeling the sun rise. I even welcomed the crows and their obnoxious barking. After coffee I did a few chores and left early enough to make the 30-minute walk to work. By the time I reached school the endorphins had kicked in and I was supressing the urge to twirl on the sidewalk. It was wonderfully ridiculous.

Despite the fact that I'm sleepy now, there is only one word to describe how getting out of bed for all that makes me feel:

Sexy. Never thought I'd see the day when "5:30 am" could mean "hot."

Am I getting old? Or just turning into my father?


I guess either of those options would be just fine. :)


1 comment:

Mimi said...

I think taking care of ourselves (in a variety of ways--exercise, healthy diet, sleep, or another indulgence) always makes us feel sexy. Now if we only had more hours in the day...