30 August 2005

Class Schedule

I finally understand my work week. Before it was all numbers and kanji so I had no clue what was going on. But here it is, decoded:

  • 3 times / wk I have a small, "higher level" English class called OCII (Oral Communication II). It's the same group of students, so I make 3 lesson plans per week. The class is team-taught and I really like the other (Japanese) teacher.
  • 8 times / wk I teach beginning English (called OCI) to freshman. There are 40 different students per class. So for OC I, I make one lesson plan per week and teach it 8 different times, with 5 - 8 different Japanese instructors. I asked my supervisor if the lesson plan would change with each class, according to preferences of the Japanese English teacher. She smiled at me--actually, she grimaced--and said slowly, "For OCI, you are not assistant teacher. You are teacher. So it is up to you. "
  • To summarize, I make four lesson plans and teach 11 classes per week. Not too shabby.

No comments: