23 August 2005

Ode to Sports

People cherish sports for many reasons--what they can do for both your body and mind--but also what they can do for relationships. The classic story is about the son who, no matter what else was going on, could relate to his dad through sports. They could spend hours discussing batting averages. Or yell at the football refs on TV. Or take a trip for a college basketball game. (Wow, that really made me miss Duke.) If they had nothing else in common, men always had sports to understand each other.

It was my third or fourth day of work, and I walked past the tennis courts on the way into the school building, like I do every day. But this time there was more activity than usual, and I realized the girls were having a tournament. Instead of going inside I walked to the sidelines, to show my support as well as check out their tennis skills. Some of the matches had already begun, and as I watched the girls I realized that I was learning more about their personalities than if we had spoken. I saw the sweat, the stress, and the concentration on their faces. I saw how each girl displayed it a little differently. I saw their body language change throughout the sets, some slapping hands or squealing when they earned points, some showing no response at all. Because I played tennis in high school, I automatically understood what these girls were feeling, and I felt like I knew them: I could tell which ones were like me, and which ones were different. And when the guys had a tournament, I felt the same sense of understanding with them. Watching the students play told me tons about who they really were, more so than asking what their favorite food was, or if they had ever been to America.

Even if you come from a different world and think you can't relate, some things are just the same. And you know.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

TO DR. BLOSSER - Hello! So glad to get your email because I had no idea you were keeping up with my blog. I'm happy to know there are other readers, especially if you are enjoying it. This is my first time outside the "Western world," and although I'm worn out at the end of each day, I'm really happy to be here. Living in Japan is a very humbling and exciting experience.

I didn't study Japanese before I came, but now I'm trying to learn. I've memorized Hiragana and will start Katakana soon, and I signed up for an independent language course through the mail...but do you have any suggestions for how a beginner could learn/improve her Japanese?

Also, are you interested in Buddhism at all? I was wondering if there are particular temples or places I should make an effort to see.

Hope all is well in North Carolina...I will post more pictures as I take them.

Thanks for reading!
Lauren